Sunday, April 29, 2007

To start things off....

I figure it's best if I start this blog off the right way. This summer, I was accepted a position working for Xanterra Resorts in Yellowstone National Park. Xanterra has been contracted out by the National Park Service (NPS) to run the lodges, food services, horseback riding stables, and other services throughout different parks.
From May 15 until August 20, I shall be working for Xanterra and living at Old Faithful. I will be working Kitchen Crew at Old Faithful Lodge as well as hopefully volunteering with the NPS. As a Parks and Recreation major, I feel it'll be such a good opportunity to work closely with the NPS as someday I would really like to work for them.
Throughout the summer, I'm going to be updating this as much as possible. I will have some limited computer access while I am living at Yellowstone, so I will probably try to update this at least twice a week.
For now, I am going to be spending the next 2 weeks until I leave getting all of my gear in order and making sure that I have everything I need. That's pretty much about it for now, so keep checking back for more later!

Cory

4 comments:

Jim Macdonald said...

Hey there,

Best of luck to you on the adventure of a lifetime. I worked five summers in the 1990s for Hamilton Stores (the general stores operated now by Delaware North).

Just a note, you won't work closely at all in your job with Xanterra, especially in the kitchen, with the NPS. They'll come through for inspection, you'll see them eating, but that's about it. If you have time, though, one thing you might consider is volunteering at the visitor center. My roommate did that one summer, and though he wasn't able to help much because of his work schedule, what he was able to do was great for him (and for me, since he got a ton of information packets I was able to read).

Anyhow, you will have an amazing time, one you can hardly predict except that it will be amazing no matter the ups and downs.

Keep writing about your time; if it's good and interesting, I'll publish links in the Yellowstone Newspaper.

My best to you,
Jim

Casey DiCicco said...

Cory. Seriously have the time of your life up there. If life ever gets you down or you feel your mind start to wander you give me a call, got it? I'll be here whenever you need me, especially if I can find a way up to visit you sometime.

Once again, have the time of your life man. I know that this wasn't just a coincidence for you and that God planned this, and I'm really glad you decided/let me convince you to go, haha. You're a great kid and I'm gonna miss you so friggin much man. Take a lot of pictures up there and makes sure you stay in touch. Don't do anything I wouldn't do, haha. Peace man.

Just a momma with no clue said...

Hi! I am actually working at Yellowstone this coming summer, I was wondering if you could give me any advice, as far as what to pack and how to get from the bus station to yellowstone! Your entries were great, and I look forward to this experience!

Monello said...

Che bello. Deve essere spettacolare vivere nel un parco nazionale. Buona fortuna