Friday, May 18, 2007

Another update! (May 17-18, 2007)

Ok, the workdays here are like scarily long! We're totally understaffed here so we're putting in 6 days a week, 11 hours a day...but everything I get to do outside of work has made up for it.
I've made a really good group of friends out here. They're from Iowa, Minnesota, North Carolina, New York, and all around. I originally started out working in the pantry doing prep cooking in Old Faithful Lodge. With this job, I pretty much just made 350 salads, 150 sandwiches, and cut tons of melons all day long. BUT!!!!!!! I found out that I wasn't supposed to be put there so they moved me to the Bakery/Ice Cream Shop in Old Faithful Lodge and this is a lot better! I get to work with my friend Jess (an outdoor rec major from Minnesota) and it's just a lot of fun. I get to walk around now (cause I also bus tables) and don't have to stand in one place.
I'm actually very sick of seeing Old Faithful go off. After the 15th time, it just gets old. HaHa. Work gets very busy right after the geyser ends, they called it the Geyser Rush.
But enough about work, I'm having an awesome time. The past 2 days, after working for 11 hours, my friends and I all went out and did 3-4 miles of hiking. I can't say I'm not tired, but these views are amazing. It's scary to be hiking thru the woods and come across a bison and calf (they're very protective of their young), elk, and come across back country thermal pools (the ground around these pools can be only 2 inches thick and you can fall in and get burned b/c they are about over 250 degrees).
Today we hiked to the Keplar Cascades and hiked down some of the cliffs and it was just a great day. We had a good time and hiked back after dark. Tried to do it without a headlamp, but we got to a spot where the bison where so I decided to turn my lamp on eventually. It's just gorgeous views and I'm going to try to get my pictures up within the next few days. I have Monday off so I'll try to get on, but Matt, Jess, and myself are going hiking in Lamar Valley looking for wolves and bears. They call it the Serengeti of the United States.

Just know I'm enjoying myself eventually and spending a lot of time with good people. Yesterday we sat by Castle Geyser as it went off and Ingrid, Matt, and myself just talked for an hour about everything. It's been so much fun!

So keep me in your prayers and I'll keep you in mine! God Bless!

No comments: