Saturday, May 12, 2007

First day on the road!

So today began the first day of our 1,900 mile drive across the country. Shane and I left Harmony today around 8 am. He began driving and, for anyone who knows me well, I slept for the first 4 hours. Something about being in a moving vehicle puts me to sleep.

Ohio was very very boring as usual. Just a straight boring driving and passing the occasional weird person. I saw a lady driving dressed up as a pirate.

For being a Saturday, we still hit major traffic when we got to Chicago. It took us about an hour to travel 5 miles, but Chicago is a good looking city right on the lake so we enjoyed looking at it while stuck in the great concrete jungle.

Shane drove till about 6 pm. Don't ask me why he drove for 10 hours, but he did. He said he enjoys driving, so I let him go! We finally stopped for dinner and a quick Wal-Mart run (trying to get a better iPod radio thingy) in Beloit, Wisconsin. Kinda a drab town that reminds me way too much of Cranberry Twp, PA. The people there were extremely weird and had weird accents. They kept looking at us (it could have been the Penn State and Pittsburgh gear that we were wearing).

I took over the driving after Beloit. We passed a lot of stuff I remember from our cross country trek 6 years ago, especially a gas station where my mom and Patty Flamos got hit on by a very dirty old trucker. Good memories.

So as of now, we're sitting in La Crosse, Wisconsin in the Baymont Hotel. Watching TV and just chilling......you shall all be hearing from me soon! I can promise you that one! There's a storm rolling in over the plains and it's dark and windy. We're just gonna hunker down for the night and enjoy our rest after a looong first day.

Hoping to make it to Rapid City, South Dakota tomorrow. It'll be about 13 hours of driving, but the driving here is easy. For now, Peace!

Pray for our safety and our strength in this journey and for me throughout the summer! I will be praying for all of you back home. Love you all!

No comments: