Friday, June 15, 2007

June 15, 2006


So, I love this whole not having to work until 6 pm at night thing! Last night I had the first day of my new job as the Night Porter at Old Faithful Lodge. It wasn't that bad at all! I deep cleaned a few bathrooms, swept a few floors, and emptied a few garbage cans...it really wasn't that bad at all! I'm supposed to work from 6 pm - 2 am but I was definitely done by 10:15 pm...so I sat on a chair in the Porters Closet and read the newspaper for an hour and finally clocked out around 11:30 or so.....it was great. I can't believe I'm getting paid even more than when I was shift lead to do this sort of work!

Today was a great day. After a not so good lunch at the Employee Dining Room (EDR), Dan and I went down to the Firehole River to swim. I was there the other night with some people, but today was definitely warmer and the water was down a little bit so the swimming was a lot better! We met some people from Massachusetts and chatted with them for a while...they were doing a trip all across the country (Grand Canyon, L.A., etc etc). Firehole is awesome! The water is pretty warm (mid-80's) and it's just in the canyon where you can jump off the cliffs (even though you're not supposed to!) and the rocks have been worn pretty smooth so it's kinda like a natural waterslide...there was a good amount of people there today but I know come mid-July or so (when Kourtney comes out to visit July 17-21!!!!!!!!!!!) that there will be like 400 people there, so I'm enjoying the peace and quiet now while I can!

So, I've decided that pretty much I want to live out here. I've been thinking about it alot lately. I'm in love with this western culture..as many of you know, I've always been a fan of Civil War and Old West history....and cowboy culture comes right along with that. Also, growing up with horses and goats...spending time in 4-H and around the fairs and horseshows...I've just learned to love this western culture and I get so mad when I think that I went through a phase where I didn't want to be around the horses and stuff, so we leased them out to other people. I decided when I get home that I'm going to get back into riding (especially as I want to work on a Dude Ranch out in Wyoming next summer!). This area is just amazing. I loved driving in Cody, WY the other day through the Absaroka Mountains and looking eastward and seeing the Bighorn Mountains.

A lot of the locals you meet are so nice..and I love driving and passing the ranches. It makes me wish that I could have this life. I mean, I'm an outdoor recreation major and I totally love everything outdoors....but I was talking to my mom today and boy do I miss having the horses around...so I'm going to take some lessons when I get home this fall (I've never had formal lessons...it was always just more me riding with what other people told me!)

My life out here reminds me of this song by Jason Aldean called "She Loved Me":

And I'm living for the minute
Loving every second of it
Fearless...wild and free
Nothing could stop us


It's just so true. I mean...I've loving every single second out here and honestly, I'm not looking forward to having to come home in the fall. I want to stay out here as long as I can. I'm looking forward to hopefully one day moving out here. Like I said, I could spend the rest of my life in Cody, Wyoming!

Well, my dad comes out tomorrow with my mom and sister meeting him on Wednesday....I cannot wait to see them! It's been over a month and I do miss them terribly! We're going to go to Jackson and see other things in and around the park. It's going to be such a blast! I'll be sure to update when I can over the week, but definitely be sure to check back for pictures!

Keep me in your prayers and y'all shall be in mine!

No comments: