Tuesday, June 5, 2007

June 4


Today, I had to work from 6:15 until about 2:30...but I decided to take a 45 min lunch break and walk in a few circles while I was still on the clock. I worked with Marco from Serbia and Sergio from Colombia.....which kinda sucks because 1. They don't know what they're doing and screw up orders and 2. They don't speak english well so I basically didn't utter a word for almost 8 hours.

After that, I decided it best to hike to Fairy Falls. I didn't do the whole loop as it's like 20+ miles, but I did the 2.6 mile hike out to the falls. It was a gorgeous hike through some regenerating lodgepole pine forests (naturally reseeded after the 1988 Yellowstone Fires that burned over 40% of the park!) and crosses a couple streams until you finally hear the mighty sound of rushing water.

This waterfall seemed to be over 100 feet high and just cascaded down into this huge pool at the bottom before eventually flowing off again into another part of the Lower Geyser Basin. I just took a few minutes to walk up right next to the falls where you could feel the wind and moisture rushing off of the waterfall. The water was really cold and the pool it fell into was full of some really slimy algae (I don't really know exactly what it was).

Then I took the opportunity to sit on some fallen logs over the stream and just take some time to myself. I saw some marmots, 3 cow elk, some chipmunks, and some sort of falcon that was flying overhead while screaching. So that was def. a good time.

The elk actually stepped into the trail on the way back and wouldn't move until I got to within about 10 yards of them. Then they casually trotted away like there was really nothing there. Thats why I love this place! There is so much wildlife, so many waterfalls, thermal pools, geysers, etc (but there also is so many people which I don't necessarily enjoy all that much).kk

I'm really enjoying my time out here for those that are wondering (if you can't already tell by just reading my blog! I mean, after I got done with the hike I took a quick nap, ordered some food from the Pub and then I stayed up until 3 am just talking with my friends. It was just a good time and I enjoy nights of just getting to know more people and just sharing a few laughs. It's been so long since I've had the opportunity to just sit and laugh with people without a care in the world...b/c I know we'll get to do it again the next day and the day after that so we're in no rush.

Life is kind of in it's own little dimension out here. We, as employees living in the park, realize that we have 3 or more months to explore the park and that we also have to work...so we do things on a slower pace. We don't have a week to rush and see everything, so we take a lot of time to just stop and enjoy the views around us...to enjoy the people, the places, and the things that make Yellowstone special.

I have the 5th and the 6th off, so I'm looking forward to fishing and stuff. You'll be hearing from me.

Keep me in your prayers and you'll all be in mine!

No comments: